woensdag 4 augustus 2010

Calm water

In the conversation in our homegroup we were also talking about the effect of all the changes in electronics on our society. We are constantly being bombarded with information, through TV, commercials, radio, internet, movies, our I-pods, our mobile phones, etc. They all fight for our attention and this can create a constant stress that is hard to escape. But what happens when we shut out all these distractions, when it becomes quiet…. What is on the other side? Maybe for many people there is emptiness, boredom, loneliness, questions, pain…. Maybe that’s why we are okay with all the distractions and even seek them out, although they create a constant feeling of restlessness. But this keeps us from hearing the voice of our soul telling us that something is wrong, that we are empty and that we are broken. Maybe we need to hear this voice because it drives us to search for an answer, to search for something that can truly fill us, something that can still the waters and give us a peace that transcends all understanding. Maybe when we find this we won’t be afraid of the silence anymore, maybe then our souls are truly at rest in the place where they belong.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gently and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. (Matthew 11:28-30)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten