zondag 22 augustus 2010

Adam, where are you?

A while ago I was at my parents place and I had a conversation with my mother about “quiet time”. We talked about how quiet time is not just a discipline you need to do in order to learn and grow, but that it is enjoying spending time with somebody you love. The God who made the universe loves us and wants to spend time with us. If we don’t spend time with him He will miss us.


There are many things that try to get our attention and sometimes we are not even aware of God’s presence. I noticed that God doesn’t push for our attention; He is just a quiet voice which we can ignore if we want too. We can stand with our back towards him, not even noticing him. It must make him sad that we sometimes struggle even to have just a little bit of time to speak with him or listen to him. After talking about this my mother showed me a song on you tube which she had recently seen. The song is called “Adam, where are you”. It is an old simple song with drawings in the background, but still it really spoke to me, especially the emotion in this one sentence “Adam where are you” stood out to me. All the next day I kept hearing this line in my head: “Adam, where are you”, “Adam, where are you”.

The next evening before I went to bed I opened a book that was lying next to my bed, and this is how the chapter I opened started: “After Adam and Eve had sinned, they heard God walking in the garden in the cool of the day. They hid from Him because of their fear and shame. Try to sense the heart of a loving Father when He asked that wonderful love question, “Where are you?” (Gen 3:9). God knew that something had happened to the love relationship. When your relationship is as it ought to be, you will always be in fellowship with the Father. You will be there in His presence expecting and anticipating the relationship of love. When Adam and Eve were not there, something had gone wrong….I hear many persons say, “I really struggle trying to have that time alone with God. “If that is a problem you face, let me suggest something to you. Make the priority in your life to come to love Him with all your heart. That will solve most of your problem with your quiet time. Your quiet time is because you know Him and, therefore, love Him, not only in order to learn about Him…Suppose you were dating a person you loved and intended to marry. What is the primary reason you date (spend time with) that person? Is it because you want to find out about his likes and dislikes or family background? Is it because you want to find out about her knowledge and education? Or is it because you love him and enjoy being with him? (Experiencing God, Henry T Blackaby)

So, maybe God is trying to tell me something...

Song “Adam where are you”:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZM1mmcis-s

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten