zondag 31 oktober 2010

Courage to be different?



Sometimes I get the feeling that we don’t really live the full life that we read about in the Bible. It seems that we are more concerned with trying to fit in with the culture around us, making sure nobody might me be shocked or turned off by anything in our life that might be a little strange.

I recently started to read the book “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan. This book has been confronting. The following lines jumped out to me:

“Taking the words of Christ literally and seriously is rarely considered. That’s for the “radicals” who are “unbalanced” and who go “overboard”. Most of us want a balanced life that we can control, that is safe, and that does not involve suffering.”

I love to read biographies about different men throughout history that have given their lives completely in the service of God and the spreading of “the good news”. Their stories inspire and confront me. These men seemed to be consumed by just one thing, their love for Jesus and sharing the salvation and joy which they received with as many people possible. They gave up everything for this purpose and went through much suffering for it. When I read their stories I’m shocked by all the difficulties they went through. These difficulties were sometimes so many and so great that I’m amazed they didn’t loose their faith but kept on going and kept on trusting. Their lives with God were not easy and comfortable and they didn’t fit in, but many of the revivals that have started throughout the world are the fruit of their efforts a long time ago.

As Christians we are supposed to encourage each other to live a life completely devoted to God, but sometimes it seems we are discouraging each other to live this kind of life. The following passage I read yesterday stuck out to me as an example of how this can go. It is coming from a book that shares the biographies of Christians in the 18th and 19th century that have made a great impact through their life and service:

“One day he (Hudson Taylor) called on the Congregational minister and asked to borrow his copy of Medhurst’s China, explaining that God had called him to missionary service in that land. “And how do you propose to go there?” the minister inquired. Taylor replied that he did not know but in all probability he would go forth as did the Twelve and the Seventy, relying solely on the One who sent him to supply all his needs. Placing his hand on the lad’s shoulder the minister replied: “Ah, my boy, as you grow older you will become wiser than that. Such an idea would do very well in the days when Christ himself was on earth, but not now”.”
Heroes of Faith on pioneer trails by E. Myers Harrison: Hudson Taylor

If you read Hudson Taylor’s life story you can see what God did through his life and how He provided in great ways…

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it. (Matthew 13:45,46)

Link Song "Motions" by Matthew West


Song lyrics "Motions"

This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life

'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

take me all the way (take me all the way)
take me all the way ('cause I don't wanna go through the motions)
take me all the way (I know I'm finally feeling something real)
take me all the way

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Great post, Mirjam. I also really enjoy biographies of some of the great heroes of the faith, like Hudson Taylor. Have you ever read "Through Gates of Splendor," by Elisabeth Elliot? It's one of my favorite books of all time (our son Elliot is named after one of the missionaries in the book). I've got a copy, if you ever want to borrow it...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen