woensdag 8 september 2010

Rejected


While studying the Bible I've been noticing more and more how many times Jesus is being rejected. In the beginning there were lots of people following Jesus because of his miracles and because they thought he would free them from the Romans, but the more they got to know him and the more they learned of his message the more people got disappointed. It seemed that towards the end of his life there were only a few people following him and most of them deserted him and fled when he was facing his darkest hour.


The more you love the deeper it hurts when you are rejected and the purer your intentions are the more challenging it is when you are wrongly accused. Keeping this in mind while reading through the verses below, makes it heartbreaking for me to see what Jesus went through when He offered up everything to come to the earth and give his life for us to be free.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For this reason the Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. (John 5: 18,19)


For even his own brothers did not believe in him. (John 7:5)


Others replied, "No, he deceives the people." (John 7:12)


The Jews answered him, "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?" (John 8:48)


At this, they picked up stones to stone him (John 8:59a)


"We know this man is a sinner." (John 9:24b)


Many of them said, "He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?" (John 10:19)


So from that day on they plotted to take his life. (John 11:53)


Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. (John 12:37)


Then all the disciples deserted him and fled. (Matthew 26:56b)


When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby struck him in the face. (John 18:22)


"If he were not a criminal," they replied, "we would not have handed him over to you." (John 18: 30)


Then the whole assembly rose and led him off to Pilate. And they began to accuse him, saying, "We have found this man subverting our nation. (Luke 23:1,2)


But it is your custom for me to release to you one prisoner at the time of the Passover. Do you want me to release 'the king of the Jews'?" They shouted back, "No, not him! Give us Barabbas!" (John 18: 38-40)


Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged. The soldiers twisted together a crown of thorns and put it on his head. They clothed him in a purple robe and went up to him again and again, saying, "Hail, king of the Jews!" And they struck him in the face. (John 19:1-3)


As soon as the chief priests and their officials saw him, they shouted, "Crucify! Crucify!" (John 19:6)


But they shouted, "Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!" (John 19:14)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me… John 5:43


From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. "You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. John 6: 66-67


Why are you trying to kill me? (John 7:19b)


why are you angry with me for healing the whole man on the Sabbath? (John 7:23b)


As it is, you are determined to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. (John 8:40)


If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? (John 8:46b)


"I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus (John 8:49)


"I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?" (John 10: 32)


After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me." (John 13:21)


…they have hated both me and my Father. But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: 'They hated me without reason.' (John 15:24b,25)


Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter…. (Matthew 26:38-40a,42a,43a)


…but Jesus asked him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?" (Luke 22:48)


"If I said something wrong," Jesus replied, "testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" (John 18:23)


Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34a)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (Isaiah 53: 3)


All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads. (Psalm 22:7)


He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. (John 1: 10,11)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten