zondag 25 september 2011

No time to pray?

I’m reading a book that’s called prayer the great adventure by David Jeremiah. Today I’m reading a chapter about being “too busy” to pray and was challenged by a lot of what I read. Some quotes:

"Oh, I really did mean to pray. But somehow I didn’t get around to it."

The morning after a busy day is always the hardest, isn’t it? You’re exhausted. You have nothing left to give. Your bed seems like heaven. That’s the morning that you say, “Well I’ll just skip it today.”

"The very thing that keeps us from praying is the very reason why we need to pray."

"It is said that Martin Luther declared he had so much to do, he could not get through it without spending at least three or four hours on his knees before God each morning."

"We are tempted to think that when life slows down, then we’ll have time to pray. Jean Flemming wrote, “I find myself thinking, When life settles down I’ll… But I should have learned by now that life never settles down for long. Whatever I want to accomplish, I must do with life unsettled. "

"Remember, no one has time to pray; we have to take time from other things that are valuable in order to understand how necessary prayer is." (Oswald Chambers)

"One of the main reasons so many of God’s children don’t have a significant prayer life is not so much that we don’t want to, but that we don’t plan to…The opposite of planning is not a wonderful flow of deep spontaneous experiences in prayer. The opposite of planning is the rut. If you don’t plan a vacation you will probably stay home and watch TV. The natural, unplanned flow of spiritual life sinks to the lowest ebb of vitality. There is a race to be run and a fight to be fought. If you want renewal in your prayer you must plan to see it."

And in the early morning, while it was still dark, He arose and went out and departed to a lonely place, and was praying there. (Mark 1:35)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten