vrijdag 21 januari 2011

Seeing for the first time



This video is an adaption of Plato’s allegory of the cave. I was struck by some of the similarities with the gospel. There are also some differences because I think the things in this world have value and beauty in and of themselves and aren’t just ugly shadows and the gospel is about more then just becoming enlightened. Still I could recognise the sense of exitment of finaly being able to see clearly, the sense of freedom this gives, the frustration in not being able to share this with others and with that the temptation of starting to doubt the things you have experienced, to forget about them and to start staring to the wall again.

Yesterday evening after preparing for this post I read some verses in daily light that all happened to be about God enabling people to see. I picked two of the verses and looked them up in the Bible:

As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard the crowd going by, he asked what was happening. They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.”

He called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”

Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”

Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?”

“Lord, I want to see,” he replied.

Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God.

Luke 18: 35-42

I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

Ephesians 1:17-22

Song "for the first time"
Link to song: The Afters "for the first time"

Song lyrics:
There’s a different sunrise
It’s a different world
In a way I feel like
I have just begun

Like I don’t remember
Waking up from a dream
All my chains are broken
And it feels so free

I can breathe for the first time
I can see for the first time
It’s like you opened my eyes
I can feel my heart is coming alive
I feel alive
I can breathe for the first time
For the first time
For the first time
For the first time
For the first time

Once a life imprisoned
I was locked in the past
But your love has given
Given one more chance

Once my light was fading
But you gave me yours
Now my world is brighter
Than it was before

Chorus

And I’ve never run so far
I’ve never felt so strong
When I am where you are
I found where I belong
For the first time
For the first time

Chorus


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten